Thursday, February 20, 2014

Start With the Foundation

...like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building on it.

 - 1 Corinthians 3

We're such children.

We can't possibly do everything we want to in life. (I'm assuming that your most important aspiration is to serve others). Even if God has given you a clear objective - you are not going to be able to do it all, yourself.

How much progress is never made, because we refuse to share our vision? We hesitate, because we're afraid that if we tell the details of our plans, someone else will do it, and take credit for it. 

Focus on one piece of the entire project. Take the part that you do well, and cultivate others that can help you. Get them on board, show them the goal, then let go, and let them do what they do well!

I have been working now, for fourteen years, on a life mission. If you go back to the seeds of the idea, if actually goes all the way back to about 1975, when my Uncle Joe and Aunt Claire came to visit, and they showed me their genealogy work.

Here's the goal: to create networks that are connected by family - but so extended of a family as to eliminate any trouble with nepotism. I think you go with the Fourth Cousins level. This network will take care of itself, while doing charitable deeds outside the family. Elders and youth will be cared for, protected, and supported. It is possible to live as though John D. Rockefeller were your great-great-great grandfather, if everyone pools their resources.

And so I have attempted to shepherd this project from inception to roll out, for sixteen distinct extended family groups, of which I am a member. But it's impossible. Years pass, and a few baby steps are made.

I need help. And so I will begin asking for the help. I will share the vision openly. Some will scoff. Someone might even take credit for it. But if it's done right, then even I will turn out all right in the end.

If you don't know what to do next, start working on the foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment