Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Inevitable Snares

Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me . . . 

 - Psalm 31

This past week, I finally achieved two financial objectives that had been vexing me for the better part of a decade. They were two major bills that are now paid in full, resulting in a savings of around $300 each month. This of course, means a huge benefit in my taking care of family and my favorite charities. And the peace of mind is no small thing!

I have learned to play information like this close to the vest. You really don't want people to know that suddenly you have a lot of extra money you did not have before! It is human nature, but they will begin expecting you to do more financially, than you had before. But that is not necessarily the case. 

Almost to the day that my improved situation had been confirmed, two big things happened: A one-time family expense hit, in the amount of $800, that I needed right away; and car work that could be put off no longer, which so far is at $300.

So, I am $300 better off, but need $1,100 right now. I had begun tithing more, contributing a little more to other debts, treating family a little more. I entrusted those funds to the Lord, and said "Please bless the use of these, Your funds." So then, why did major devastating expenses have to come just then?

No telling. But right away the pressure hit me, from the usual sources, to do a better job with my money; to "follow through" on other expectations I had set. And so now, having proclaimed my new-found independence, I had to continue acting like I had no money. 

And this, in the Bible, is called a "snare."

The secret net, meant to trap people that have struggled with money, is an onslaught of sudden, unexpected emergencies. In some cases, I lost my temper, or composure, in discussing all of this with others. This is letting myself be trapped in the snare. 

I am moving forward more and more into God's plan for me. My worries about money have ensnared me for years "Lord, I'll do more when I don't have all these bills." But the time for salvation is NOW. 

Decide to act for the Lord, even if you have problems. Leave it in God's hands, and Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment