Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Rhetorical We

 to stand at the threshold of the house of my God than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.

 - From Psalm 84

Have you ever tried to drop in at a friend's home, or better yet, the home of a close family member, and felt like they did not want you there? Let's say it is a place where you have always felt more than welcome. They've told you, more times than you can count, that you are welcome anytime. "You don't even have to call!" 

But this time, as you stood at the door, knocking, when they answered, they kept the door open to about a ten-inch crack, and the door between themselves and you. They were friendly enough, but the body language and tone spoke very clearly: "You're not coming in."

How did that make you feel?

The Psalmist says he'd rather be left on the threshold of God's door, than to be resting, eating, visiting, and laughing, in the warm, inviting domicile of a wicked person.

Ahhhhh . . . . but we do that all the time, don't we?

I've been resisted, recently, by others, when I use the rhetorical "we," as I just did in the previous sentence. They take it way too personally. With a haughty tilt of the head, they rejoin: "I do not include myself in your "we", Gordon!" 

Well, I did. Both you and me - - - I included both of us, or . . . all of us. 

We pick the bigger club, the richer friends, the cooler hobby, the more popular value system. 

We don't make waves. Keep the popular, the wealthy, the powerful person happy. You have to pay your bills! Be realistic!

We should prefer the proximity to God . . . even if it's a cold front porch, to the comforts of the wicked person. And the evil person always makes us feel comfortable doesn't he? We know that's how they control people. Except, they always control other people. But never me

Why do you really believe what you do? Does it have anything to do with the grades you may receive, the person you want to impress, the raise you may get, or the cool people you may get close to?

I really don't think we care to answer too honestly here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment