Monday, December 10, 2018

Fairness III

Therefore you shall draw water with rejoicing . . . 

 - From Isaiah 12

Our perspective is so limited. The difference between the perspective of an eighteen-month old baby, and an octogenarian, is nothing compared that of an eternal being to one of us. We are not eternal yet. When we are relaxing on the deck of Cafe Omega, with a view of eternal waters, we will reflect at how ignorant we were, during our finite years. "What was I thinking?"

Our behavior belies people that really do not believe they are destined for immortality. We act like we have to cram in everything into these seventy years! Time is of the essence! We have our bucket lists that have to be checked off!

I don't have a bucket list. Those things can all be done in eternity. I only have now, and what's presently before me. 

We're all headed to the grave. All of us. That's fair. None of us gets it easy. Yes, life may be more comfortable for some of us. But some of will die like all the rest. 

With the knowledge that everything is fair in eternity, I can jettison all of my anger about injustice, and who deserves this and that. I can focus on excellence in the moment. 

Yes - life requires planning. To say I live in the moment doesn't mean I don't have a long-term purpose. But I strive to align my purpose with what really counts eternally. I can make life fair for those around me, insofar as it is within my power to do so. To help even the playing field for others, I am going to probably need money. 

And I have learned that people with money are taken more seriously than people without. This is the chief reason I want money. I can do more good with it. Wealth is wasted on people with bucket lists. 

And so therefore we can focus on . . . will I even have water, today? What a doable goal. What a valiant aspiration: Water for me, and water for others. And if Flint, Michigan needs clear water, what can I do, today? They need water, today. They need it now. And so that should be my focus. Anger about politicians has its place. But that alone doesn't quench thirsts. 

In eternity, when you live forever anyway . . . water will be the delightful enhancement to our experience. And the water itself will be Life. 

What a splendid image of where we should direct our focus, today. A glass of water to those that need it. That's all. And that's everything. And that's fair. 

Let's go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment