Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Good Stuff IX

 . . . we refuse to practice cunning . . . 

 - From 2 Corinthians 3

I wonder . . . does the simple statement from Scripture, quoted above, tell us to stay out of politics? When we speak of "political" behavior, aren't we referring to cunning behavior? 

I had an interaction yesterday, with someone on-line. This particular friend is a very young divorced mother of three. Apparently, her ex-husband was a minister that ended up being, according to her, a "narcissist." This particular thread was about income parity between men and women, making the charge that women are still far behind. In the aftermath of her divorce, she has become a quite vocal political liberal.

Now, narcissism is a concept that I could cover in volumes. I became well-versed in it myself. I became so aware of it, and its implications, and how to spot it, that I began to notice narcissistic tendencies in people that would not be diagnosed with the condition. I was seeing it everywhere. I saw it in myself. I began to feel sorry for the poor people around me, that I had concluded were narcissists. Are narcissists just overgrown children? Indeed. And don't we learn to have compassion for kids? I realized that we all are narcissists, to some degree. And I felt that society had become a little obsessed with it, to the point where every interpersonal problem was being blamed on it. 

I engaged in a thread that she had started. I have known for some time that she was a person that had been broken, whose faith had been nearly shattered, and who now had a level of distrust towards males in general. Or this is what I assumed was a safe approach. I was making the point that a lot of research is showing women on a par with men, in career advancement and income. And along the way I tried to introduce the Master's advice, not to fret over wealthy people. She took this up and suggested I consider the Lord overturning tables in the Temple, in anger. I came back with a quote from last week's reading from the Psalms, not to worry about money, or become angry against rich people. 

Her response was an emoji, a face laughing with tears. She tagged me and wrote "ok". 

Now . . . I felt that a person that had been the butt of a narcissist's game, should have some perspective and never mock a person in this way. I sent her a private message asking if she just laughed at my scripture reference? She replied that I was quoting Scripture that had nothing to do with the thread. My response to her was that my intent was not to entertain but to take our emphasis away from hate towards rich people. She then replied with a missive about how she is who she is, will never change, nor apologize. And of course, something about my being so deeply offended by her posts. 

My intention had been to get a person to see something different, from Scripture. When she mocked, I tried to draw attention to the harmful of affect of mocking someone else that means well. If the tables were turned, she would have been deeply offended by my laughter. I was not offended, so much as interested in discussing the effects that our attitudes have on others. She did not take up the careful regard for Scripture here . . . but when something became a little too uncomfortable, she laughed, mocked, and accused. 

Like Abraham's wife, Sarah. Like King Saul. Like Cain. Like Ahab. Like Judas. 

Why can't we be more eager to be challenged, and to improve. 

I apologized to her and said I would try better next time, to be more sensitive to the nature of a thread. 

Politics is cunning. When we put our political connections ahead of our Spiritual connections (as this friend has done; as we all are doing) we become cunning creatures that have no honor in God's Kingdom. 

We are directed very clearly . . . do not be cunning. Be real. Be open. Be transparent. This is the highest calling of Christians . . . to be exactly who we are. (This does NOT mean, do what will get you a lot of encouragement from the world). 

It is yet another example of The Good Stuff. Our standards are high. We will miss the mark, again and again. But the mark is a good one. And it's the highest, most pure standard in the Universe.

Let us not be cunning. Let us be real. And let us be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment