Saturday, November 23, 2019

Are You Ready, Really? Hebrews 10 - Ten years of reflectionary!

Originally posted Wednesday, October 7, 2009


World events are spiraling about. At times it all seems random. At others, like it is part of a grand Master Plan. At its root it is frightening. Jesus Christ seems to be the one most polarizing figure in History. From within the U.S. and without, His enemies - all those that do not believe in him - can come into great accord in the objective of wiping him, and his followers, from off the pages of History.

We talk a good game. We know that courage is a good quality. We admire those that have it. We can voice our connection to Paul, Peter, Noah, King David. We say that we are followers of Christ.

What happens when our professions of faith cause us to lose a job? What if our friendships, or family relations, suffer?

I was once told, by an elder in the Church, that I needed to cool it on my blogging. He said - "This could hurt you in getting a teaching job."

What? WHAT??

And you suffered for those who were in jail and accepted the impounding of your possessions with joy, knowing that you had a better and more lasting fortune elsewhere.

I would love to have a new car. A big house would be great. If only I could attract the most beautiful women with my affluence and wealth! Taking trips to any pleasure spot in the world, whenever I want, would be great!!

But, what is the cost of all of this? How much must I hide my faith in Christ?

Oh yes, I could say, "But let me gain my wealth first, and then think of how effective I will be in building God's kingdom!"

Friend, I tried that approach for twenty years. The outcome was not only spiritual failure, but professional, worldly failure, as well.

I took that fork in the road, and instead of worldly success, I gained professional decline, financial reverses, medical and dental bills, divorce, and even a lack of respect from among those in family and church that once admired me.

It doesn't work. You will fail if you try to get it both ways.

What are your talents? What can you do to build God's kingdom? I beg of you, change course right now and do it.

And please be willing to give up all your worldly possessions! They are worthless, and you are going to lose them anyway! True riches are only to be found in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment