Saturday, March 29, 2014

In God's Eyes

Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.

 - 1 Samuel 1:16

I've been around for 54 years, and we still don't get it.

Sunday School teachers, pastors, teachers, civic leaders, elected officials, parents, friends, family . . . 

Oh, we've commented on it. We nod our heads in approval. We point it out. We understand that when this aspect of the King David story is referenced (that he was not as impressive as any of his brothers, yet he is the one God chose to be king), that it is a very important truth. We like it, or pretend to.

But then we'll go look at our young people and select the brightest, most handsome, most athletic, most popular, as the future pastors. And in the US today, it's particularly pronounced: our Presidents and other elected officials are elected based on how well they play on camera. Do they look "cool"? That's about all that counts.

I have engaged down a path in life . . . one that is decidedly, deliberately, not towards wealth or fame. Call it weird. When I was in high school and college I decided that I was not going to have friends, or girlfriends, or wives, based on how much money I had. I would find my friends first, then go get the money.

I measured my success on my own terms. If you turn away from money, you should then turn towards God. I did the first, but not the second. And so I found myself stuck in a money-making career that I didn't belong. I got some wealth, and found that suddenly women were in fact more interested in me. I took it a step further and began acting more like the young men that I observed had the least trouble finding attractive women. It worked. I embraced what the world values, and the world rewarded me.

But the eternal side suffered. The godly part, the compassionate, the holy, the happy and contented part, withered away. I wound up with almost nothing, on almost every front. And today I am still in a sort of wilderness of waiting for things to open back up, or for me finally to just say "yes" to the Lord and let His wealth, His prestige, inform me.

I have been active in church for 15 years, quite high profile in the music ministry. With an MBA and an MA with teacher certification, as well as years of experience as a local elected official, I wondered why I never got asked to serve on any other committees. Finally one day, a pastor told me.

He said that I had no outward evidence of being successful at anything (meaning, I did not appear monetarily rich). This floored me. My circumstances are decidedly humble. The ways in which I privately use the funds I do have, are not available for public consumption. But that did not matter. A "man of the cloth" told me I needed money if I was to be taken more seriously in the Church.

So we have a long way to go. 

Say something nice and encouraging today, to someone whose situation is not as good s yours; to someone that is not as good-looking as you, or as popular. For in God's eyes, they are at least as valuable as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment