Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Snare Bringer

You brought us into the snare . . . 

 - From Psalm 66

In my reflections this year, I feel I have spent a lot of time on the snares that the world sets for us. 

I have condemned people in our lives, that ensnare us and then lure us to act wrongly. The world wants to mock us, to marginalize us, and to keep us down.

But then right here in this Psalm, it says that God Himself brings us into the snares. The entire passage reads as if God Himself sets the snare. 

We do know that God tests us . . . not for sport, but so that we can grow. And God was willing to put Himself through trials many times more difficult than what we face, by sending His Son to the cross. There must be something good in it, if Christ had to endure suffering. 

I find comfort in the fact that God brings us into snares. And if He is the creator of the snares; if He is working in the lives of evil people that seek us harm; then, I am going to have to be okay with that, too. I cannot claim to be more wise than an eternal being.

So, I don't read this and say, as unbelievers would: "What's that supposed to mean? Is God gaming us?"

No - - - it makes me feel good that He is even active in the bad times. It's all for some good, final purpose. 

Our God reigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment