Sunday, March 4, 2018

Thoughts and Prayers VII

Who can tell how often he offends?

 - From Psalm 19

The 19th Psalm is about as deep as a Psalm can get. It also is one of the more poetic. It addresses the human condition with humility and candor, while affirming all that we hold dear, and everything we hope for. 

It talks about the secret thoughts of sinners, meaning us. It suggests that there are things wrong with us, things that happen in our minds and hearts, that we don't even know about. 

In 2018, "offensive" is a big word. Nobody wants to be offended, and you'd better not offend me, or you will pay. 

But the 19th Psalm says "I offend people all the time, and don't even know it. Lord, clean up my thoughts."

If I offer my "thoughts and prayers" to others that are hurting, let my prayer include the desire that I be fixed. "My prayer for you, is that I will be a better person."

Ahhh . . . that's good. And if you want to turn things around on the scoffers, make this your petition to the Lord. They think they're making fun of you . . . but you're actually praying that you acknowledge the very thing they say is wrong with you, and that God remove it. 

Serves them right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment