Monday, July 2, 2018

True or Fake III (Lake)

And he was amazed at their unbelief.

 - From Mark 6

There's a thing that young people do, and now in the digital age it is magnified to an exaggerated rate. 

I understand it . . . I went through a variant of it. When I was in my late teens I began sort of despising my home town. I saw things wrong with it. I resented having to grow up there. 

My Mom was a Texan. Why didn't we have a chance to grow up there? I went to Greece Community Schools in New York, from kindergarten through 5th grade, and loved it. Why couldn't I have finished there?

I began to invent things about Dexter, Michigan that I didn't like. The weather was an easy target. Yes - - - the cold winters! That's it! I will hate the cold winters! And I looked at other elements that likewise offended me. I used all the confirmation bias I could muster, to put together my logical case for wanting to leave Michigan.

But I didn't have the reason so many others had: I distaste for my "provincial life." There are young people that complain about their hometown, all the time, on Facebook. Every vice known to humanity, it seems, is present in their hometown and its people. Racism, sexism, greed . . . it's all prevalent in "my town." 

My story has a happy ending. I could live anywhere now. 

But many people leave their home town and never look back.

When you think about it, this makes good sense, because in too many cases, home towns don't care too much for their natives sons and daughters, either. Jesus hit a brick wall when He tried to return to his home town to preach. People knew Him, from a young boy, and couldn't believe He was carrying on preaching as though He had authority. Their resentment against Him was something we understand. It's something I understand.

I have launched a non-profit, devoted to the performing arts and youth. We put on shows for our senior citizens, and to community events. We build character and leadership in our members.

And yet I have marveled when I try to talk to some of my peers, most particularly, people within about ten years of my age, how disinterested they are in it. I marvel at their unbelief.

They seem determined to see my venture fail, by offering no encouragement.

Why is this? Why does familiarity breed contempt? New members of the community are more supportive. Expansion into other towns goes much easier than local initiatives.

I don't understand it, but it happened to Christ, too.

And yet . . . if we supported those closest to us . . . not a one of us would ever fail in anything.

Jesus was the Truth. And yet, those that should have known Him best, believed Him least. When you turn on the truth, you are ready to believe what is fake.

Paul "believed all things." Is this what he meant?

It would seem the answer to fake news, and to many of today's problems, is to just start believing in those closest to us, and supporting them. Believe your own eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment