Monday, October 3, 2022

Study

 Great are the deeds of the Lord! they are studied by all who delight in them.

 - From Psalm 111

This is something that I do not do, enough:

Study

I need to study the music that I am supposed to be preparing for performance, with other people, in ensembles, for audiences. Don't just practice - study.

This requires me to listen to recordings of the music. Maybe read up on the back story. Collaborate with the other artists involve. Have practice sessions with them, that go deeper into the music than a formal rehearsal (you should be well-oiled and well-prepped by the time you get to rehearsal).

I need to study the news. I need to study the problems of my friends and family. Research. Understand. Empathize. 

I need to study the problems that I am going through. Learn their labels. Understand root causes. Talk to others dealing with the same thing. 

Studying is the opposite of ignoring. It gets you beyond simple awareness. You study so that you can know, and know well. You study in order to memorize. Your studying makes important concepts get locked away into your heart and conscience. Study can remake you into a better person. Study is necessary for continual personal improvement. 

Every moment is an opportunity to study something: a problem, a virtue, a milestone; something outside ourselves. Something that connects us to the world around us. Things that are not simply what's going on between our ears. 

Study = presence of mind. It equals perspective. It equals wisdom. It equals perspective. And it equals humility. 

So study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment