Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Wrangle

 . . . and warn them before God that they are to avoid wrangling over words.

 - From 2 Timothy 2

I have to admit, I had to go and double-check the definition of the word "wrangle." I always assumed that I knew what it meant. It seems like it had some connection to working on a horse ranch; or shepherding a herd of wild horses. Cowboys are wranglers, because they're outside with lassos and chaps. Wrangler is a popular brand of blue jeans . . . with a really cool "Old West"-looking logo. 

But if I had to provide an accurate and concise definition, without looking it up, I couldn't.

Paul warned us not to wrangle over words. 

Wordnik.com offers this definition: To quarrel noisily or angrily.

Now that I can understand. 

It is in the nature of my own distinct understanding of Scripture. that it draws a lot of wranglers into my vicinity, if all I do is assert an honest tenet of my beliefs. 

Facebook is a haven for digital wranglers. People argue for the sake of arguing, or to make sure other people can see how bright, or articular, or smart, or well-read, or terse, or glib they are. It seems like that's all that happens on Facebook: wrangling. 

Wrangling is arguing that has no point. It is two or more people trying to outwit each other, getting themselves hatefully cross at each other. And "hatefully" is a deliberate and accurate characterization of what's going on. 

We're training ourselves how to hate. 

We will contend with evil. We will use words from Holy Spirit, in defending our faith. We will counter-punch when someone takes a verbal jab at God and His Son. 

But we must resist wrangling with other believers (for this weakens the Body). We must not wrangle with unbelievers either. Pointless, vain disputes that are no less than virtue signaling, and that really are unseemly attempts at drawing attention to oneself. 

That's all it is. Let's not wrangle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment