St. Matthew’s Day III
Go and learn what this means, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice."
Matthew’s story begins rather abruptly. Jesus sees him sitting at the tax booth and says, “Follow me.” Matthew gets up and follows him. Soon Jesus is eating with tax collectors and sinners, much to the dismay of the Pharisees. It is easy for me to read this story and immediately identify with Jesus and Matthew. But perhaps I should make myself a little uncomfortable first. Who are the people I would rather not find sitting at Jesus’ table?
I have my categories, and you probably have yours. We don’t need to name them. In fact, it may be better if we don’t. Just put those people quietly into the story—the people whose behavior, beliefs, politics, lifestyle, reputation or past make it difficult for us to imagine that Jesus would particularly enjoy their company. Then pull up a chair. Jesus is eating with them.
The Pharisees knew their religion. They knew Scripture, worship and sacrifice. Yet Jesus told these knowledgeable people, “Go and learn.” He was sending them back to something God had already said through the prophet Hosea: “I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” They had more to learn, and so do I. Religious practice can become so familiar that I forget what it is supposed to be producing in me. I can know the verses, attend the services and defend the faith while remaining a beginner in mercy.
Yesterday we read that Scripture equips us for every good work. Today Jesus gives us one of the hardest assignments: learn mercy. Not merely believe in it or admire it. Not identify all the people who ought to practice more of it. Learn it. And learning requires practice. Perhaps the person I find difficult, objectionable or simply wrong is not an interruption in my religious education. Perhaps that person is part of the lesson.
We have spent these days approaching the Feast of St. Matthew by turning our eyes toward what matters, considering the good we are equipped to do, and finally meeting Matthew himself at the table. There Jesus leaves us with an assignment that may take the rest of our lives to complete: Go and learn what mercy means.
Reflectionary is an ongoing conversation with Scripture. If these reflections are meaningful to you, please subscribe and come back often. And by all means, join the conversation—your questions, disagreements, insights and reflections are always welcome.

No comments:
Post a Comment