Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Gotta Problem

"So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

 - Matthew 6

All over social media, Christians are attacked for opposing raising taxes to feed the poor and redress other social problems. They are called "hypocrites" for calling it a "Christian nation" while "taking food away from starving children."

Hmmm.

But how does Christ Himself define "hypocrisy"? He doesn't worry about saying one thing and doing another, so much as He hates for us to make a big show of our good works.

Give your alms in secret. DO YOUR CHARITY IN SECRET! Therefore I don't even want the government knowing of my good works! I don't want the government deciding how my charitable dollars are spent, for me!!

We gotta problem. And what is it?

We have no way of defending our low tax position without becoming . . . hypocritical.

We can't say: "Well I give charitably so it's okay to want lower taxes." Because that's saying too much. And if we say of our wealthy neighbor "Yes he's a one-percenter but he annually donates $100,000 to Feed My Children; then we have just violated a sacred trust. We have let our friend down.

So the best approach may very well be . . . say nothing, literally. Or at best: "I use the biblical definition of "hypocrisy," and therefore cannot discuss any details of my giving, or of why I am opposed to raising taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment