Monday, September 17, 2018

Show Up! II

For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.

 - From Matthew 9

I was in a conversation earlier today. Someone told me that, in her observation, families pull apart when it comes to caring for their aging parents. One, or two, of them will seem to be pulling more than their share of the weight, in providing care. It's a taxing job, but a necessary one. 

And God seems to call out just one of us, at a time, to do the big jobs. He doesn't call a team, or a group, or a movement. He calls an individual. And if the individual can find no help from others, then that's going to have to be okay. The work is there to do. And it cannot wait for stragglers. 

Do the right thing cheerfully. Christ was soon surrounded by the deplorables of His generation. And it drove the ancient Hollywood-types crazy. 

Here's the thing about showing up: if you are the one doing all the showing up, you don't get to feel resentful against them that don't. That's not what "showing up" is all about.

Yes, we need people to be present. We need help. We need you to be there. We miss you when you're not. You help ease the burden. Without you, the job is more draining on us. 

But that's all that needs to be said. If "showing up" means complaining about them that didn't make it, then it's better you just stay home. 

Because: Christ is calling everybody. Some answer, some don't. Some say "yes," and some say "no." Some say "later." 

But you show up. You help. Your example is way more motivating than your words of disapproval. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bro.Gordon. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in Church and Godly things. I am also blessed by your devotional thought which is so encouraging and also questioning as to how I respond to Christ personal calling "yes""no" or "later". I am blessed. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of MUMBAI to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time with your family to encourage the body of Christ and to work with us in the slums of Mumbai to bring healing to the brokenhearted. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon via my email id :dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. God's richest blessings on you.your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete