Friday, January 18, 2019

Authority III

 . . . and on this rock I will build my church . . . 

 - From Matthew 16

The prioritization of authority seems to be tied closely to faith.

I can, first of all, take the advice of my Grandparents, years after their respective deaths, as reliable . . . because I have faith that I will see them again. They were human, mortal, and fallible. But the advice they gave me, and their example, is sufficient to let it influence my own decisions.

And in the context of eternity, who really cares about the mistakes we made in this life? This is what forgiveness and grace are all about!

I wouldn't do many things, even still today, if I thought it would cause my grandparents to be disappointed in me. There are certain things that I refuse to do, for I know it would disappoint them. So much more, my relatives that are still living. Why would I create tension in the heart and spirit of my siblings, mother, aunts and uncles, and cousins . . . just to gain some attention for articulating something controversial?

No . . . far be it from me to do this. I believe that there are some things far more important than the world and its problems. My need to be noticed, and to have posts that are "liked" by hundreds, is not more important than my need to make it into eternity, and to see as many people as possible there.

My faith in the goodness of the outcome modeled by my grandparents, is the very thing that drives me to a great concern for things like injustice, poverty, and even the concept of "privilege." I can move forward a positive vision, because I believe in forever. Except, I can advance those important causes, without forcing wedges between myself and my closest loved ones.

There are plenty of other forces that drive families and friends apart. We do not need to exacerbate it with politics.

A respect for authority is one thing that drives the life, career, and voting decisions of close to half the population. They are concerned about caring for others. They want fairness. But they also believe in loyalty among friends and family, and have a respect for authority. And this balanced approach to life gives them a perspective that is, in the long run, safer, more positive, more affirming, more inclusive, and most importantly, more effective in bringing real progress to humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment