Wednesday, April 1, 2020

No Defense

. . . we have no need to present a defense to you in this matter.

 - From Daniel 3

Let your yea be yea, and your nay be nay.

This famous statement from Jesus, suggests that we should let our words be few. An eastern philosophy, quoted in one of George Harrison's songs, says "He who speaks doesn't know. He who knows doesn't speak." Also, compelling advice.

I remember reading a quote by some famous person, about "I never explain anything to anybody."

And then, Calvin Coolidge, the American President known for being the quietest, said "If I never say anything, I will never be called upon to explain myself."

So much great advice, and wisdom. Let your words be few.

In K-12 writing classes, kids are taught to "Show, don't tell" in their writing. Use descriptive words. Don't say "He was scary." Rather, describe what he looked like, how he spoke, the words he used, and his gestures. Describe the reaction of others to him.

Same thing in the spiritual life. Don't just talk about it - do something. Act.

Don't just complain about politicians not solving problems! You do something about it!

Shadrach, Mesech, and Abednego chose not to play the legal game with Nebuchadnezzar. They could have mounted a compelling legal case; appealed to the King's sense of history, and of wanting to matter. He was a great reformer, and this would have been a great opportunity. The three young men were very likely gifted orators. They could have impressed the kind with their silver tongues.

But they chose not to do all that. They would speak through their actions, and their faith.

They would not explain.

When you start explaining, you can dig yourself into a hole. Either people get it, or they don't. When you start explaining, tempers can flare.

In the Covid Era, I work in solitude a lot. I speak less. I act more. I take breaks . . . . for I do not need permission or approval to do it.

I am very productive.

Act much . . . speak little.

Advice for the ages.


No comments:

Post a Comment