Sunday, August 7, 2022

Treasure

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also . . . 

 - From Luke 12

My life does not have a lot to show for it, in terms of material possessions. 

I remember my days working on my MBA, at Texas Christian University between 1982 and 1985. I took all of those classes, and completed all of the requirements. But almost every day, every step, I would think to myself "You have to be motivated to make a lot of money to do this. That doesn't motivate me."

That's not a good profile for a business major.

My years in the corporate world were predictable. It was always easy for me to get hired. I have an honest, approachable demeanor. I am a highly creative type of person - - - but follow-through was always my Achilles heal, my Big Disappointment. And I never saw anything as urgent. I kept thinking about the eternal view. And there has never been a priority in the for-profit world, that had importance in Eternity. 

I wanted to teach. To make music. To produce educational and entertaining programs. 

With all of these limitations, however, I believe that I did manage to have some stellar highpoints between 1988 and 2002: the years that I was focused on a career in business. But that's a story for my other blog, "The Boulder."

Passages like this, words from the Lord, in Luke, always grounded me and made me thinking I was actually okay. Everything will be alright. My Treasure is NOT on things of this world. It just isn't. Sometimes I feel the Eternal realm within reach of me. It's sights and sounds (sometimes, or so I imagine) are almost totally real to me. I am aware of the higher dimension; and of the place where Christ and glorified people made immortal, reside. 

If you just don't see the urgency, the importance, the pressure, the stress, the hyper-focus on things of this world, then look up! You are in good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment