Monday, February 27, 2023

Visited?

And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you? 

 - From Matthew 25

On this day, February 27, 2023, I am making public my plan to do actually this. God has placed a burden upon my heart for decades, to serve people such as Christ mentioned in Matthew 25. Except, the focus will be on family members. I will seek out any relative of mine, that is in my generation or prior, going all the way back seven generations.

I am looking for those in prison. For any lacking basic healthcare. For the children of single parents, that cannot afford music lessons, soccer club dues, nice presents for Christmas. For our elders, especially widows, that need a roof repaired or reshingled; that need a ride into town for groceries; that would love to receive Christmas cards every year. 

We will look for such people, and then act. The impact is enhanced, because they are family. Love is offered to them; unmerited, unexpected . . . because they share DNA, they are family. And we will take care of family. Our vision will grow, and it will overflow . . . and we will begin to offer it to others, non-related to us, representing other races and cultures. The gifts and service will be offered, as from an entire extended family group.

Come . . . you who have no family . . . and join ours. 

I post this now, because it is Lent. And Matthew 25 is in today's reading. And God has recently taken care of a big part of why I have delayed in implementation, all these years. He got tired of dropping hints, and finally just provided me with a decisive nudge. 

God rolls out His plan for the ages, via families. And while families are the paradigm of the Old Testament, which has been displaced . . . still, families remain as the chief platform upon which to practice unconditional love. As my cousin Louise once said, of a very difficult aunt: "I don't care. She's family, and I love her."

Perhaps this is my Lenten mission for 2023: to launch this faith-based mission to my family. And therefore, to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment