Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Brothers

But go to my brothers . . . 

 - From John 20

There's always a designated response involved in every interaction with the Lord. He gives us instructions, that usually begin with the word "Go . . . "

And when we have gone . . . the objective is usually, just to report what we have just seen, and heard, with our own eyes and ears. We are to be a witness of what has happened. We are to go, and tell others. 

Jesus directed Mary to go to "my brothers." She was to tell them that He was ascending to His Father and our Father; to His God and our God." But I think that what He was really saying, what I would guess is meant in the original language: "Hurry now. Go tell my brothers that I am here. I'm alive. But stress to them, that I am leaving soon."

Time was of the essence.

If you knew you had only 40 days left with your brothers and sisters . . . what would you do? What other activities would you give  up? What hobbies would you put on hold? What vacations, self-indulgent purchases, recreational plans, would you put on hold? And when you got together with them, how would you spend your time?

I would probably make it so our time was spent in a wooded, secluded setting. I would have musical instruments around. I would have good food available. I would have various meeting and recreational options for all of us. 

The entire dialogue between Jesus and Mary is touching in its urgency. And it is woven through with tenderness, courtesy of the phrase "Go tell my brothers."

My brothers

Family is a big deal. It's so essential of a concept, that God made it paramount throughout the Old Testament, and when the plan of salvation was finally laid out there, one of the main outcomes was that we would all be family. We're family. Brothers and sisters.

So, don't let anybody put-down the concept of family. Unlike the popular memes going around, that diminish the idea of "family" as, basically, people that make you feel good. Jesus' definition of family is describing people with imperfections. People that don't get what you're saying. People that doubt you all the time. People that deny you. People that betray you. 

People you're stuck with. 

This is what family is. We learn about it in the blood-related group we're born into. You can totally split with your father. But he will always be your father. 

This is the construct we are to operate under, when we look at our brethren in Christ, and are told that they are our family

No comments:

Post a Comment