Monday, September 19, 2022

Training

All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness . . . 

 - From 2 Timothy 3

Through the years, I ebb and flow between extremes of being too laissez-faire about life, to being constantly stressed out, for no apparent reason. I guess most people are like that, maybe all. 

The common thread among the bad extremes, is a lack of Bible Study and prayer. In fact, my entire life clearly has suffered, to some degree, due to my not placing a hard priority upon alone time in the Word, and with the Lord. 

The Bible is the Bread of Life. It just is. When I have been studying it, reflecting upon it, and praying in response to it, I do way better. It is true that I come under attack when I am in the Word (God's adversaries do not want any of us studying His Word). But I can withstand these attacks if I am bolstered in the Word of God. 

Last Spring, I launched and led an online Bible study that may have been more important to my well-being than I realized. Obviously, God wants us doin things like that. But upon its conclusion in mid-July, I shifted gears towards a career path that would make me largely unavailable to lead such an activity, for a very long time. I began to be troubled, anxious, and unsettled. By Labor Day the anxiety was pronounced, to the point that it was feeling more like sadness, or maybe Depression. 

God wants me in His Word, and He wants me ministering to others, through it. 

The Word of God is peace. It's also a hard instrument that rounds us out and hews our talents and skills, for service to God. It is when we let God teach us, reprove us, correct us, and train us, that we can become righteous. And without righteousness, there is no peace of mind. There is only a troubled spirit that cannot lift itself out of its morass. 

Feed on the Word today, and move forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment