Wednesday, September 7, 2022

One Sinner

 Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

 - From Luke 15

I've got power that you can't see
God is living inside of me
I can fight any enemy
Cause God and I make a majority

These lyrics, from the first release of the New Gaither Vocal Band, circa 1984, was always one of my favorites. It hit the airwaves while I was a grad student at Texas Christian University. Here it is, right here.

And so it occurred to me, that God is not about democracy. The only reason humans have democracy, is to give us a system of government, hopefully, to keep the most people, at any one time, mostly content with their government. Peace is better than continual rebellion. Therefore, we have democracy. 

But God is not a pro-democracy being. The gospel message is always about The One. Truth, and real love, is ever found within decreasing circles of faithful believers. Christ took only three with him to Transfiguration: Peter, John and James, his inner circle. And so this is another critical element needed within sustainable democracies: 

You must protect the One.

We have gotten away from that. Democracy this, democracy that. Meanwhile, lone whistleblowers are mocked, cast aside, ruined, canceled. Small groups of people asking legitimate questions are treated like dirt. 

This is why the Kingdom of Heaven rejoices at one sinner that repents: 

Because God places the One ahead of the Many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment